Monday, January 21, 2013

Baby pigs

One of our mama pigs had 6 babies, but she lost 5 in the middle of the night and we (I) rescued the only one left. My honey (Sam) said let nature take it's course, it's a big commitment, I'm NOT getting up & feeding it....LOL. so as I walked past him with the almost dead piglet into the house, I'm feeling a all Mother Teresa, saving the world one pig at a time, I say I'll bring it back out to it's mama after I warm it up. ( I told him I would bring it back ha hah ah) I had visions of the baby pig following me around, us running through fields of wildflowers....) after getting him warmed up and finding an eyedropper to try to feed it, here I am sitting, rocking the piglet. It is hard to teach a baby to nurse from a bottle. I keep trying but have to resort to the eyedropper & I'm getting frustrated thinking that natural selection might have been the way to go, I'm just tired after 6 hours of force feeding the little darling. The little sweetie survived the night and we decided to let mom have another try. So back to the barn she goes, mom grunt baby grunts and starts nursing right away, it was a warmish day so we (My honey) decided to leave it with momma pig. I'm sorry to say the baby didn't make it mom isn't the brightest pig and didn't keep it warm enough so another lesson learned, if you remove the baby you become the mama and like it or note, this mama pig was too young to do a great job of mothering. It's a sad day but we tried and with every failure we learn. Sometimes the lesson learned the hard way is the one we remember the most. What did I learn from all this is to trust my gut, I just knew she wasn't going to be able to take care of that baby but I second guessed myself, I let nature take it's course....was it the right thing to do?

No comments:

Post a Comment